Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Where will Assassin's Creed Go Next?

The Assassin's Creed franchise is one of those franchises, that just sweep the gaming community, get extremely popular, and last several years with amazing profits, because their concept is so catchy and entertaining. I must admit myself; I've also fallen under its spell. Learning history the fun way, climbing and running on the roofs of historic cities, the mysterious conflict of Assassins and Templars - I love it all.

But what is its future?



So, after I have finished playing the new Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, I sat wondering, where will the story take us next, after Edward's story had ended. Will it be ancient Egypt, will it be medieval Japan, will it be victorian London? I'd love all of these, but everybody seems to be missing a few interesting historical settings, about which I am going to tell you about.

1. War of the Roses - 15th century late-medieval England

According to my history lessons (and Wikipedia), War of the Roses was a quite important civil conflict between English nobility - namely House of York and House of Lancaster. It lasted thirty years, and at the end of brutal conflict, another noble family emerged victorious - the House of Tudor, who then claimed the throne.

The War had quite an impact on English society - slowly transforming it from feudal an moving it into English Renaissance. Maybe thanks to it has England risen as a major superpower in the 17th and 18th century, starting the industrial age.

Mainly, I would love the atmosphere of late-medieval England - the stone castles on steep cliffs, wind howling across cold grassy plains - it would just be something very well suited for Assassin's Creed franchise.

2. Ancient Greece

Really, who doesn't like the Greek mythology
, the Mediterranian feel, the cities with beatiful ancient architecture, the atmosphere and feel of this wonderful ancient era? I am actually quite surprised i am not seeing anybody thinking about it.

Perhaps the Pelopenese Wars would be a nice time to set a game in - in clash between philosophical and sophisticated Athens and mighty, militaristic Sparta? There would even be a possibility of naval battles and naval exploration - the Greece archipelago is large and contains lots of small islands.

3. Scandinavia - The age of Vikings

Ok, this one may sound weird, and to be honest with you - it is. But it is a really interesting thought. Scandinavia in the 9th century obviously didn't have a lot of interesting, cultural cities to climb in, no beautiful architecture - but it had very beautiful nature, and it could be centered around that.

I personally do not see how the Templar and Assassin conflict may rage in the halls of Thor and Odin, but hell - they somehow got it in the Golden Age of Piracy, so they could probably get it here.

I don't know, something about this idea quite drags me, the feel of being a Barbaric Assassin, plundering shores of England and Russia, in a very unexplored period of history - it would be an interesting experience.

There are probably tons and tons more of historical settings fit for Assassin's Creed franchise, so I can't cover them all here, but these are three, that I would be very pleasantly surprised to see.

Leave a comment below, what do you think on my suggestions? And if you liked it, share it on whatever sharing site you want to.

_________________________________________________________________________________________



Also, check out CashCrate - a great way to earn a few bucks on side, if you're from the US.



No comments:

Post a Comment